Partially in response to Neil Young's new CD which sharply criticizes the Bush administration, Conservative magazine The National Review has published a "The Top 50 Greatest Conservative Songs" of all time. Clever idea until you take a look at the top 10 and ask if you believe that the artist who wrote and sang these songs intended to send a Conservative message:
- "Won’t Get Fooled Again" - The Who **
- "Taxman" - The Beatles
- "Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones
- "Sweet Home Alabama" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
- "Wouldn’t It Be Nice" - The Beach Boys
- "Gloria" - U2
- "Revolution" - The Beatles
- "Bodies" - The Sex Pistols
- "Don’t Tread on Me" - Metallica
- "20th Century Man" - The Kinks
** The Who's Pete Townshend responds on his blog.
Next week Hypebot will be publishing a Top 50,000 Liberal Songs with a surprisingly similar Top 10.