(Updated) MediaNet's content network delivered a record 200 million music downloads and 150 million on demand plays in December, the company's CEO Alan McGlade shared in a Thursday afternoon call. That's a 124% increase in downloads from December 2008.
MediaNet powers music and media delivery via an API and web components to iLike, HMV, Tesco, MOG, Fox News, Ultimate Guitar, Intertech Media and a growing number of others. These sites use the company's services including streaming, downloads, music search, contextual matching and other discovery tools to engage their users without having to send them off site.
"We see the growth coming from our partners and their users," McGlade told Hypebot. "But we also see more extensive activity from existing users. Digital music has become a mainstream part of more people's lives." He sees growth continuing in 2010, "The labels are more open and new investments are being made." Music streaming and add-on services from ISP's will be particular areas of growth according to McGlade.
MediaNet's 2009 Top Albums & Tracks:
Top 10 Albums 2009:
- Tim McGraw, “Southern Voice”
- James Horner, “Avatar”
- 30 Seconds to Mars, “This is War”
- Mary J. Blige, “Stronger with Each Tear”
- Eminem, “We Are Young Money”
- Alicia Keys, “The Element of Freedom”
- Young Money, “We Are Young Money”
- Owl City, “Ocean Eyes”
- Mudvayne, “Mudvayne”
- Three Days of Grace, “Life Starts Now”
Top 10 Tracks 2009:
- Ke$ha, “Tik Tok”
- Owl Cities, “Fire Flies”
- IYAZ, “Replay”
- Ludacris, “How Low”
- Jay-Z, “Empire State of Mind”
- Jay Sean, “Down”
- Black Eyed Peas, “I Gotta Feeling”
- Lady GaGa, “Bad Romance”
- Jason Derulo, “Watcha Say”
- Young Money, “Bedrock"