The music industry has just begun to tap into the potential of uibiquitous smartphones. Results of Nielsen’s latest survey suggests understanding the consumer landscape for mobile apps begins and understanding of the Apple iOS and Google Android ecosystems.
- 36% of U.S. mobile consumers now have smartphones
- Consumers with Apple iOS (iPhone) and Google Android OS mobile phones represent the majority of the smartphone market in the U.S. and 74% of mobile app downloaders
- App users with Apple iOS and Android OS smartphones have more applications on their mobile phones than those with other kinds of smartphones, with an average of 48 apps on iPhones and 35 apps on Android phones.
- App downloaders with Blackberry RIM smartphones only had an average of 15 apps on their phones.
- Apple and Droid users use their apps more often: 68% of app downloaders with iPhones and 60% of those with Android phones reported using their mobile apps multiple times a day compared to 45% for Blackberry users.