The 2000 Things To Generate 20,000 Fans Challenge
This guest post comes from Michael Brandvold (@michaelsb), a 20 year music & online marketing veteran who has worked with unsigned bands and superstars like KISS and Britney Spears. His Michael Brandvold Marketing provides advice and consulting services to musicians.
Author David Meerman Scott made a honest and realistic quote, “if you want 20,000 fans you must do 2000 different things that each generate 10 fans.” This was my favorite quote from 2010 and I am going to take this on as a challenge for 2011 for an ambitious project to give you 2000 different things you can do to generate 20,000 fans.
I am defining generating fans in a few different ways:
- A brand new fan who has never followed you before.
- Engaging with existing fans to get them to participate.
- Engaging with existing fans to get them to convert on an action.
MORE & A CHALLENGE TO THE HYEPBOT COMMUNITY:
Some of these items will apply better for larger acts, some items will work for any act. Some may work for you, some may not… not yet. Some these can be done with little effort, some will take some web development, some might even require some significant development. Some of these have successfully worked for me over the years. The point is to create a list of items that would cover a wide range of acts and abilities.
Of course the most important part of the project is your involvement! If you have questions about an item leave a comment or send me an email. Even better, if you have a suggestion for something to try please leave a comment or send me an email. I want to hear what has worked for you.
The end result of all this will hopefully be more Facebook likes, Twitter followers, email list subscriptions, more sales and more traffic to your website… more fans!
2000 Things to Generate 20,000 Fans Challenge
- Reply to every Tweet that mentions you.
- Let your fans lead you – What did you get for KISSmas.
- Ask your fans to submit photos of their tattoos.
- Select a fan of the week.
- Share what is on your iPod.
- Share the stories behind your songs.
- Get your crew involved.
- Do a Twitter interview.
- Submit show ads.
- Submit ticket stubs.
- Submit radio ads.
- Wish Your Fans a Happy Birthday
- Create Regional Fan Discussion Groups
- Write or blog about your experience in the music business.
- Press Some Flesh.
- Inside the Studio
- Get a Looxcie and Become a Reality Star
- Create a eTour Book
- Real time show updates
- Twitter After Show Party
- The Girls of KISS, Find a New Segment of Your Fans
- Promote Yourself at a Twitter Hashtag Event
- Create a Daily Paper.li Paper of Your Twitter Followers
- Submit Your Experience Getting the New Album
HYPEBOT READERS: Michael has asked Hypebot readers to help create this list of 200 Things To Generate 20,000 Fans. Add to list in the comments section below and we'll make sure Michael makes the best ones part of the master list. We'll also be sharing the list as it grows; or you can check it out on Michael's blog.