AFTRA is "very frustrated" with the pace of union negotiations with the major record labels and is close to calling a strike. (Hollywood Reporter)
- The deadline for bids for EMI are due this Wednesday October 5th. New reports have billionaire buyout investor Ronald Perelman vying with the other three major labels and BMG for all or part of the music group.
- Facebook Delays Public Launch of Timeline.(Mashable)
- Bob Pittman has been named CEO of Clear Channel. It's an affirmation of his initiatives, including iHeartRadio, to bring the radio giant online.
- UK music sales fall despite digital growth. (Guardian) Fans are increasingly opting to buy albums as downloads, but overall music sales drop more than 11% in third quarter. U.S. sales are up 3%.
- "Online Tools Help Bands Do Business" - a NY Times look at Topspin and direct to fan sales.
- SST Records (Black Flag) is getting very aggressive about YouTube copyright takedowns. (HuffPo)
- Sonic Seeds music discovery engine falls flat. (CNet)
- Facebook-Spotify Love-In Over-Estimated Users’ Social Lives (paidContent)