Becoming obsessed with search engine optimization (SEO) can lead you down a rabbit hole if you're not careful. However ignoring basic SEO concepts can undermine your music marketing and overall presence on the web. To help you get started or take things further, I've gathered top tips from a series of posts on SEO for musicians that should also lead you to additional resources.
I was inspired to do this by music industry and social media linkmaster Adrian Fusiarski who recently shared a number of links to music SEO articles. I've added a few of my own for what I hope is a helpful mix.
9 Top SEO Tips For Musicians
1) "A good domain name that is close to your actual band name will make it easier for people to find you online." (HostBaby)
2) "The first thing you need to look at is the title of your site. It simply has to include your band name." (Prescription PR)
3) "Every page on your website should make use of the title, meta description, and meta keywords tags in its header section." (DiscMakers)
4) "We need to describe our pictures so Google knows what's in them." (HostBaby)
5) "It's important to include...[social media] 'like' buttons on your homepage and other pages that you want to rank well in search results." (HostBaby)
6) "Update your site as often as possible." (Hypebot)
7) "Create unique and valuable content from insider information from the band." (LinchpinSEO)
8) "Put...[your lyrics] on your own website." (YouMoz)
9) "It's really important to get links to your site on as many other sites as possible." (Prescription PR)
Do click through to the articles to get the tips in context. You'll learn a bit more in the process and discover additional tips that I did not include.
More: SEO at Music Think Tank
[Thumbnail image courtesy SEOPlanter.]
Hypebot Senior Contributor Clyde Smith (@fluxresearch) blogs about music crowdfunding at Crowdfunding For Musicians (@CrowdfundingM). To suggest topics for Hypebot, contact: clyde(at)fluxresearch(dot)com.