Music publishing heavy-hitter "Big Jon" Platt has announced his move to Warner / Chappell after 17 years with EMI. Platt has worked with and signed acts of the calibre of Snopp Dogg and Jay-Z.
- The PRS for Music announced their upcoming move to 'transactional royalty calculations' for online music services. This will provide fairer royalty distributions for indie and DIY artists.
- Mariah Carey has been honored as an icon at the BMI Urban Awards. At the star-studded event in LA, Drake and Lil Wayne shared the night's other big 'Songwriter of the Year' award.
- Canadian Performing Rights Organization, SOCAN, has announced nominees for the ECHO Songwriting Prize. Nominees include Japandroids, Dan Mangan, and Kathleen Edwards.
- In the United Kingdom, indie rockers Supergrass are to be honored by the PRS for Music on October 3 with a Heritage Music Award.
- REM frontman Michael Stipe is not happy about FOX News' use of his song 'Losing My Religion'. However, FOX believes it has the legal right to use the song.
- BMG has secured a sub-publishing deal with legendary songwriter Burt Bacharach for Italy.
Courtesy of Songtrust - One-stop royalty collection for songwriters, bands and producers.