WordPress.com recently launched WordPress Music, a subsite that brings together all the WordPress.com tools for musicians in one spot including two new features, Playlists and Upcoming Events. It's a smart marketing move by WordPress and offers a strong argument for why you might want to start your WordPress experience at WordPress.com instead of taking a more complicated route via WordPress.org.
Since the use of the brand name WordPress for both WordPress.com and WordPress.org is an ongoing source of confusion, I should note that WordPress.com is the hosted version that is similar to but not as open-ended as the downloadable version, WordPress.org, for which you need to find your own host. Most of the news you see featuring WordPress is about WordPress.org.
Xzibit.com Hosted at WordPress.com Using Custom Domain
- Mobile-friendly, HTML5-based playlists (Extra Storage upgrade required)
- Upcoming Events widget and shortcode
- Social media cross-posting to Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and more
- Embed music from SoundCloud or Bandcamp
- Videos embeds via YouTube, Vimeo, Viddler, and more
- Show off your photos with tiled galleries
- Plus, turn it up to 11 with WordPress.com upgrades like Custom Domain and Custom Design
In addition, WordPress.com offers a variety of both free and premium themes.
Though basic WordPress.com blogs are free, many of the above features require premium upgrades via the WordPress.com Store.
Related News from the WordPress.com Blog:
Hypebot Senior Contributor Clyde Smith (Twitter/App.net) blogs about music crowdfunding at Crowdfunding For Musicians (@CrowdfundingM). To suggest topics for Hypebot, contact: clyde(at)fluxresearch(dot)com.