Spotify Takes On Music Discovery
At a press event in London today, Spotify announced some major upgrades that take aim at what many users see as the music streamer's greatest weaknesses – music discovery and personal collection creation. The major new features include:
- Follow Tab: music recommendations
from trusted musical influences: friends, artists,
influencers and media. The Follow tab also shows Facebook friends and recommendations.
- Discover Tab & Page: Combining social tools with content from Pitchfork,
Songkick,Tunigo and more, Spotify’s Discover feed continually seeks
out the most relevant content based on listening habits and delivers it to a page that includes:
- New single and album releases from the artists followed
- All the music and playlists shared by influencers followed
- Recommendations based on
listening history including music, reviews, and concerts
Additonal new features and upgrades:
- Audio Preview – Dip
into new music without moving away from the song playing. Save it for later or start playing right away.
- The Collection - Save music, not just in playlists, but in collections. Click the ‘add’ symbol and it will be added
to your collection.
- Mobile push notifications for
new album releases – When new music from artists followed hits Spotify, users receive a mobile alert.
- A more curated
- Improved personalised Profile page
- Redesigned Artist pages.
Spotify's Follow features will roll out as part of a desktop app update in the coming weeks, with a full cross-platform upgrade arriving next year.