Today, the U.S. House Judiciary Committee chaired by Bob Goodlatte (R - VA) begins the first of two important hearings on music licensing. The arguments will shape copyright reform and the royalty paid for decades.
The hearings will be streamed live on the House Judiciary Committee site starting at 10AM ET. While representing a number of importnat constituencies, the list of those testifying is staked with the same players that we've been hearing from for almost a decade.
Of the 15 people scheduled to testify, only one is an artist - Rosanne Cash. She is also one of only two women set to appear. Also missing are younger voices and minorities, as well as, artists and technologists whose imagination is being restricted by antiquated licensing regulations.
The full witness list via Rain:
- Jim Griffin, Managing Director, OneHouse LLC
- Will Hoyt, Executive Director, TV Music License Committee
- David Israelite, President and CEO, National Music Publishers Association
- Lee Knife, Executive Director, Digital Media Association
- Lee Thomas Miller, Songwriter and President, Nashville Songwriters Association International
- Michael O’Neill, CEO, BMI
- Neil Portnow, President and CEO, The Recording Academy
- Rosanne Cash, Singer Songwriter on behalf of the Americana Music Association
- Delida Costin, General Counsel, Pandora
- David Frear, Executive VP and CFO, SiriusXM Radio
- Mike Huppe, President and CEO, SoundExchange
- Cary Sherman, Chairman and CEO, Recording Industry Association of America
- Darius Van Arman, Board Member, American Association of Independent Music
- Charles Warfield, Joint Board Chair, National Association of Broadcasters
- Paul Williams, President and Chairman of the Board, ASCAP
The second hearing will be on June 25th.