Canadian Music Industry Year End Report
Overall music purchases were up nearly 10% from 2005 .
- Nearly 15 million digital tracks were purchased; an increase of 122% over 2005
- The top 200 tracks accounted for nearly 20% of all track purchases; 2.8 million sales, note that this is consistent with 2005.
- Johnny Cash was the biggest selling artist with physical album sales surpassing 540,000.
- 34% of all albums purchased were at a Mass Merchant outlet compared to 29% in 2005.
- Chain music stores accounted for 66% of all album sales, compared to 71% in 2005.
- Classical and Country albums were the only two genres that gained in sales over 2005; up 21% and 15% respectively.
- Overall Album sales (including Albums and Track Equivalent Album sales) declined 3.2% compared to 2005.
- Total album sales declined 4.7% compared to 2005.
Read the full report and stats here.