MySpace Music Update
UPDATE: MYSPACE MUSIC WILL INCLUDE INDIES. MORE HERE.
My sources tell me that :
- the target date to launch is September 15th and even if they miss that by a day or two it will absolutely be this month. More and more private and public sources are confirming a September launch.
- Amazon will do download fulfillment though d.i.y. musicians can also reportedly sell via a Nimbit account
- playlist creation and sharing will be added to fan accounts
- EMI is still a holdout, but WMG, Universal and Sony product will still be available.
- UPDATE HERE.
little if any indie music will be available at launch. Talks with most indie labels and distributors are in the very early stages and indie music in general appears to be left on the sidelines as a something to be dealt with later
- The new service will launch without a permanent CEO and perhaps some of its features due to lingering technical issues.
COMMENTARY: MySpace Music is rushing to market perhaps driven by the targets of its corporate owner. Any early problems will be amplified across the web and others from Facebook to imeem will be ready to pick up the pieces.