As reported yesterday, MySpace has finally begun its makeover with an emphasis on music and the launch of a new player that combines free listening, discovery and sharing with personalized radio and Facebook integration The company says beta testing showed the new player driving engagement beyond the 1 hour mark to more than 20 songs and resulting in a 10% lift in average music streams per person.
Under a headline that must have been written by new MySpace owner Specific Media's ad department - "Myspace Unleashes World's Largest Online Music Library to Fans Everywhere with New Music Player" - the player has launched on both online and mobile devices without any audio ad interruptions and subscription fees.
Rebranding the site as a "leading social entertainment destination", MySpace hopes to take full advantage of deals with labels and an extensive catalog of uploaded tracks from indie musicians. The new player provides free unlimited on-demand listening, a lean-back personalized radio mode, song search and instant sync capabilities that enables fan to share what they've listened to on Myspace with friends on Facebook.
Of course, most of the music people want to listen to can be also be found and shared right on Facebook itself.
The new Myspace Music Player, a described by the company:
- On-Demand Listening lets people listen to individual songs, full albums and playlists for free, on demand without interruption of audio advertisements and with no caps on streaming or skips.
- Facebook Integration allows people to listen and share their music selections instantly with friends via Myspace and Facebook's news feed, ticker and timeline. Myspace automatically creates a profile for new users.
- Radio Mode is a lean-back listening experience that recommends tracks based on music listening history. The player functionality also allows listeners to add songs to their existing playlists based on newly-discovered favorites that they heard first through the Myspace recommendations made in Radio Mode.
- Additionally, through Radio Mode, people can discover all 15 million artists on Myspace – major, independent, signed or unsigned – and visit an artist's radio station at the link: myspace.com/artistname/radio.
- Discover new music with improved search options such as Discovery/Browse, Top Charts, Similar Songs and Editor's Picks.