7 Tips For Music Marketing On Reddit
Reddit is a unique online community where music marketing takes the form of being part of the conversation which can periodically include mention of what you're up to musically. Michael Koelling is a musician who recently shared some tips on marketing your music on Reddit. It's not for everyone but some musicians find Reddit to be a receptive web community.
Recently Koelling shared:
7 Steps to Music Marketing Success on Reddit
1) The number one rule is that you need to be a Redditor first, and a marketer second.
2) Just like anything else, it all starts with a good song.
3) Persistence pays off.
4) Don't post about your music more than once per week.
5) Choose the right subreddit to post your music to.
6) Before you post your music on a subreddit, you need to be an active member of that community.
7) Remember that the point of Reddit is to have a discussion, not promote your band.
Reddit's definitely a more demanding environment than most social networks for music marketing and more akin to old school discussion boards in many respects. That's not a good fit for all musicians but is clearly a satisfying community for some.
- Case Study: Tenacious D Marketing Music On Reddit's AMA
- Reddit Users Try To Crowdsource A Pop Hit
- Redditors Share Their Music On Radio Reddit
Hypebot Senior Contributor Clyde Smith (Twitter/App.net) blogs about music crowdfunding at Crowdfunding For Musicians (@CrowdfundingM). To suggest topics for Hypebot, contact: clyde(at)fluxresearch(dot)com.