Straight Outta Compton, Dr. Dre Dominate Weekend Film, Music Sales
Straight Outta Compton dominated movie screens this weekend, launching with an impressive $56 million in ticket sales. Dr Dre's album inspired by the film sold 276,000 downloads on iTunes since Friday's release and was streamed 25 million times on Apple Music.
Apple has a two week exclusive on the album release.
While impressive, sales were not enough for Dr. Dre to debut at #1 on Billboard. That honor went to country music's Luke Bryan.
Dr. Dre's stream stats were hurt by the exclusion of Spotify. Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late,” released in earlier this year had 48 million streams in its first week, and Kendrick Lamar’s “To Pimp a Butterfly” had nearly 39 million, according to the New York Times.
Top Ten Domestic Films Last Weekend
1. Straight Outta Compton – Universal – $56.1M
2. Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation – Paramount – $17.0M
3. Man From U.N.C.L.E. – Warner Bros. – $13.5M
4. Fantastic Four – 20th Century Fox – $8.0M
5. Gift, The – STX Entertainment – $6.5M
6. Ant-Man – Disney – $5.5M
7. Vacation – Warner Bros. – $5.3M
8. Minions – Universal – $5.2M
9. Ricki And The Flash – Sony – $4.6M
10. Trainwreck – Universal – $3.8M