YouTube 2020 Stats You Need To Know
While the site has undergone some serious transformations over the years, YouTube remains a valuable tool for bands and artists. Here we look at some useful stats concerning the site and its users.
Guest post by Bobby Owsinski of Music 3.0
Despite the naysayers, YouTube is not only holding its own these days but actually managing to grow. In fact, some of its numbers are pretty astounding. Let’s take a look at the latest YouTube stats as they come from the social distributor Hootsuite.
- YouTube has over 2 billion monthly users. Yep, it’s grown in the last year by a couple hundred million.
- 73% of U.S. adults use YouTube, which is more that use Facebook, and almost two times more that use Instagram. Even more 15 to 25 year olds use YouTube, 81%, than adults.
- Most YouTube viewers come from the United States, but that’s only 15% of the total. India comes next at 8.1% and Japan after that with 4.6%.
- Only 33% of popular videos on the service are in English. There are more than 80 different languages used as YouTube is available in 91 countries.
- You’ve read variations of this one before, but people now upload 500 hours of content every single minute!
- 70% of what people watch has been recommended by YouTube’s algorithm. It must be pretty good if we keep watching what it brings us.
- 10% of the most popular videos draw 79% of the total views! The old rule of thumb used to be that 20% of what’s popular would bring in 80% of the audience, but YouTube has thrown this for a loop.
- 70% of all views are on mobile. That’s no surprise as watching videos is one of the great time killers when you have have some some to kill.
- People are more careful about what they watch though. People are watching 70% less harmful/misinformative/borderline video content on YouTube.
There’s a lot more info, but these latest YouTube stats show that its consumption is not slowing down although tastes do seem to be altering a bit. YouTube can be a very local experience, but it can also be a global one as well, which may in fact be its charm and secret for success.