Welcome to Day 2 of the second slowest business week of the year. Admit it, you're not really working too hard this week. Summer is in its final days and half the world is on vacation. Yesterday, I asked readers to introduce themselves and got a great response. It's not to late to tell us who you are and what you're up to. Add your profile here and let the networking begin.
To help you at least look productive today, here are links to 5 free e-books that I consider required reading for those of us navigating the choppy waters of the new music industry. Tomorrow I'll share some favorite music business videos. Until then: Hypebot's Top 5 Free Music Business eBooks.
- The Word Of Mouth Manual Vol. 2 by David Balter. Not just about music, but an essential guide to word of mouth marketing. (pdf)
- 20 Things You Need To Know About Music Online by Andrew Dubber. Can something 16 months old already be a classic? (here)
- Music 2.0 by Gerd Leonhard, co-author of The Future Of Music. This free version of the ebook is 228 pages long. If you only have time to read part of this, don't miss his Open Letter To The Independent Music industry which starts on page 154. (pdf)
- The Pirate's Dilemma - How The Youth Culture Reinvented Capitalism by Matt Mason. The title says it all and the books suggests that it just might be a good thing. Available via the Radiohead "pay what you want" model.
- Unleashing The Ideavirus by Seth Godin. Written way back in 2001.Practical yet inspiring.(pdf)
What are your favorite music and marketing ebooks? We'll share them in a special follow-up post.