NEWS BRIEF: Merits Of Download Surge, Beiber Sells Out, Rockify,TV, Martin Atkins, Shazam, Snap & More
Is it good that music downloads now outsell CDs? (Guardian) Writer and musician Pat Kane and music critic Peter Paphides debate the merits of digital downloads.
- Jusitin Beiber sold out his entire 45 date AEG promoted U.S. tour in one hour.
- Rockify.TV launches with 200,000 music videos, playlist creation and more.
- Congratulations to Martin Atkins! The music industry author/teacher's Kickstarter campaign to publish his Band.Smart book has been funded. Party live from Chicago's Double Door tonight at 7:30 CST via Gigity.tv.
- SeatGeek Signs Its First Big Music Partners, Including AOL Music (TechCrunch)
- Bertelsmann has names Marcel Reichart to the newly created position of EVP Digital Development.
- Shazam data names Gotye as the sound of Summer 2012. (DMW)
- Hipstamatic's Snap is a beautiful magazine worth having on the iPad (TUAW)
- Anonymous loves Facebook, hates Facebook. (CNet) To set some media straight, Anonymous issues a statement explaining that it did not take down Facebook. However, the hacker collective explains its complex feelings toward the site, which include hate and a curious trust.