Spotify App Soundrop Grabs Investment Of $3M From Spotify Lead Backer Northzone (TechCrunch) This is the first Spotify app to receive major funding.
- Songkick has launched a concert app for Android built "to the latest Ice Cream Sandwich". The startup is saying its the second largest concert destination on the web after Ticketmaster.
- Amazon's cloud player app is now available for the iPhone and iPod Touch.
- Tomorrow ICANN will announce the competitors hoping to oversee the new .music domain. dotMUSIC, founded by Constantine Roussos, began lobbying to establish the .music top level domain in 2005 and has the edge with the support of TuneCore, LyricFind, CD Baby, ReverbNation, The Orchard, INgrooves Fontana and many others in the industry.
- RIAA CEO Cary Sherman walks into tech 'lion's den'. (CNET) Sherman showed some guts by making a presentation at the Personal Democracy Forum, a conference filled with RIAA-hating tech types.
- BMI and the Radio Music License Committee have announced a new licensing settlement, as the parties have agreed on a fee structure through 2016 for commercial radio. (FMQB) The settlement will require approval in federal court and will end over two years of litigation between BMI and the RMLC.