The Piano Man is signing a sweet tune with the announcement of worldwide publishing agreement between Billy Joel and Universal (UMPG) / Rondor. The new deal will focus on licensing Joel's catalog, which hasn't often featured in TV, film or advertisements.
- Universal re-upped its worldwide agreement with former Hootie and the Blowfish frontman Darius Rucker. Rucker's upcoming album and his first three solo efforts are all included in the deal.
- Multi-platinum Canadian songwriter Simon Wilcox has inked a worldwide publishing admin deal with Peermusic.
- Dr Luke and co-writer Henry Walter are again #1 on the Songtrust Top Songwriter Chart for August. Their hits for Rihanna and Katy Perry helped them see off a challenge from fellow songwriting wizard Max Martin, who rose two spots from last month.
- More good news for Universal Music Group with a 3.2% revenue rise in H1. Increased music publishing revenues in the US were among factors highlighted for the increase by parent company Vivendi.
- Two years of legal battling between the Radio Music License Committee (RMLC) and Broadcast Music Inc. (BMI) has been brought to an official close with a settlement approved in court.
- ASCAP has announced Elizabeth Matthews as the Performing Rights Organization's EVP and General Counsel.
Courtesy of Songtrust - One-stop royalty collection for songwriters, bands and producers.