Dave Stewart Signs Multifaceted Deal With BMG
Established artists making label services deals rather than signing with a label have been gaining favor of the last few years. BMG is trying to accelerate the trend, signing top tiered artists – first Janet Jackson and now Dave Stewart – to wide ranging deals.
Musician, songwriter and former Eurythmic Dave Stewart has struck a wide-ranging publishing deal with BMG that includes his music, as well as book and television content and a string of other projects.
Included in the deal:
• BMG will exclusively administer music publishing rights to Dave Stewart's solo work including his work with fellow BMG writer Mick Jagger (the Golden Globe-winning 'Old Habits Die Hard' on the Alfie soundtrack), Superheavy ('Miracle Worker'), No Doubt ('Underneath It All'), Eurythmics ('I've Got a Life'), Stevie Nicks ('In Your Dreams') and Joss Stone ('Karma'), as well as his future work;
• This includes songs he has co-written with artists on his own label such as Thomas Lindsey, The Lake Poets, Hollie Stephenson and Shel, and the latest single by his daughter Kaya Stewart 'In Love With A Boy;'
• BMG will administer rights in all contestants' songs from the forthcoming prime-time NBC songwriting talent show Songland, created by Dave Stewart and Executive-produced by Dave Stewart and The Voice producer Audrey Morrissey;
• New American Library, a division of sister Bertelsmann company Penguin Random House will publish Dave Stewart's long-awaited autobiography next year;
• Dave Stewart will record a live concert program for Berlin Live, BMG's collaboration with European cultural television broadcaster Arte;
• Creative social network Talenthouse, in which Dave Stewart is the Creative Director and investor, is working with BMG to create new remixes of tracks from the seminal Trojan Records reggae catalogue as well as working on a documentary for this iconic Label.
• Stewart will act as a brand ambassador for BMG, responsible for developing new business, both for BMG and its sister Bertelsmann companies.
Stewart said, "BMG takes music publishing on to a new level. It's creative, transparent and fair and no other music company can offer a multi-platform deal like this. Many companies talk about synergy, but few have pulled it off. BMG is a new company with a new approach, but at heart it's a music company which really understands artists." - Celebrity Access