43% of all women under 40 have experienced unwanted sexual behavior at a UK music festival, according to a new survey by the Press Association. Anecdotal evidence puts the figure as high or higher in the U.S.
“We have struggled to find anyone with any definite statistics on this before now," said Tracey Wise, founder of campaign group Safe Gigs For Women. “It gives us something to show to festival organizers so we can say ‘you need to take this on board.”
Overview of the survey findings:
- 22% of all festival goers surveyed faced unwanted sexual behavior
- The number rises to 30% of all women and 43% of women under 40.
- The most common forms of unwanted behavior are forceful dancing and verbal sexual harassment
- 11% of women had experienced sexual assault while they were conscious vs 3% of men
- 4% of women also said they faced a sexual assault while unconscious or asleep vs 2% of men
- 70% of sexual assault victims did not know the perpetrator
- Just 1% of women reported sexual assault or harassment to a member of festival staff