Beats Is All About Playlists. Here Is The Team That Creates Them
Beats Music, which launched yesterday, is designed to be different. In addition to a massive library of tracks, Beats delivers palylists – both curated and computer generated – that aim to be appropriate to individual tastes, moods and situations. That means that Beats success or failure will be determined by the people creating and fine tuning those playlists.
And while it's inevitable that Beats Music founders Jimmy Iovine, Dr. Dre, Luke Wood, Trent Reznor and Ian Rogers will have a hand in fine tuning what Beats users hear, they've also hired an experienced 30 person team. Led by radio programming veteran Julie Pilat, the Beats Music curation team includes:
• Former digital content director at XXL Carl Chery
• Veteran Detroit radio music director Suzy Cole
• Recording Academy music blogger Arjan Writes
• Former Rhino Records A&R Director Mason Williams
• Los Angeles hip-hop radio personality Fuzzy Fantabulous
• Country music writer Ken Tucker
• Former Programmer of L.A.’s hugely successful Latino 96.3, Jerry Pullés
Beats Music also features a comprehensive collection of editorialized playlists from global music brands including Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, DJ Mag, Country Weekly, Hot97/Power 106 and others.
“Beats Music combines the emotion only a human created playlist can give you with the best personalization technology can deliver, ” said Ian Rogers, Beats Music CEO. “With this you get not just the music experience only a talented DJ or music expert can deliver, but also the right one for you right now."