Record Store Day 2014’s Outstanding Indie Shop Sales Revealed By New Stats Company
BuzzAngle Music is a new analytics company. Earlier this week, while Hypebot was down from an almost week-long DDOS attack on Typepad, they announced the first daily stats from Record Store Day focused on indie record shops. One could say this brings indie record stores into the late 20th Century and is a reminder that just because the tech exists doesn't mean everyone is in a position to pay for it or implement it. Given BuzzAngle's additional capabilities, I guess they're actually helping indies leapfrog into the present.
Barring acts of God and hackers, I should be writing more about BuzzAngle Music next week. Until then I'll focus on the amazing Record Store Day sales that help explain why major labels are in and sucking up as much of the capacity of vinyl pressing plants as they can.
On Tuesday BuzzAngle Music released a number of sales stats comparing that Saturday's sales to the previous Saturday's sales. This includes sales at previously unreported shops but does not speak to Record Store Day's growth year-over-year.
"A 1,855% increase in vinyl sales for the industry as a whole (a 1,062% growth in overall sales mix for vinyl) on Record Store Day in comparison to the previous Saturday"
"A 2,042% increase in vinyl sales at independent stores (a 187% growth in overall sales mix for vinyl, with over 74% of all titles sold being vinyl releases) on Record Store Day in comparison to the previous Saturday"
In addition they shared the Top 25 Albums and Singles sold on Record Store Day at indie record stores that were RSD Exclusive Vinyl Releases. So this is a very specific snapshot but an important one for anyone wishing to understand what's really happening on RSD.
Top 25 RSD Albums
1. Live – Tame Impala
2. Live at Hampton Coliseum – The Grateful Dead
3. An Ideal For Living (1978) – Joy Division
4. 7 Skies H3 – The Flaming Lips
5. Meltdown With The Ramones – The Ramones
6. Loaded – The Velvet Underground
7. Live 2012 – Death Cab For Cutie
8. The 1969 Singles – Creedence Clearwater Revival
9. Live With Joe Strummer – The Pogues
10. Because the Internet – Childish Gambino
11. Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik – The OutKast
12. The Wizard of Oz: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack – Various
13. Life After Death – The Notorious B.I.G.
14. Demolicious – Green Day
15. Live at Eddie’s Attic – The Civil Wars
16. Ultimate Alternative Wavers – Built to Spill
17. Indie Cindy – Pixies
18. Recover EP – Chvrches
19. Sun Records Curated by Record Store Day (Volume 1) – The Various Artists
20. Clear Lake Forest – The Black Angels
21. Odessey and Oracle – The Zombies
22. Live At Monterey – The Jimi Hendrix Experience
23. With His Hot and Blue Guitar – Johnny Cash
24. Weird Scenes Inside The Goldmine – The Doors
25. Girls Talk – Garbage
Top 25 RSD Singles
1. Pennyroyal Tea / I Hate Myself and Want To Die – Nirvana
2. Side By Side Series: Just Like Heaven – The Cure/Dinosaur Jr.
3. Side By Side Series: Gates Of Steel Live – Devo/The Flaming Lips
4. American Beauty – Bruce Springsteen
5. 1984 Picture Disc – David Bowie
6. Side By Side Series: 7 and 7 is – Mystery Artists – Rush / Love
7. Ghostbusters – Ray Parker, Jr.
8. Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow / Down In De Dew – Frank Zappa
9. Learn To Obey – Off!
10. Million Dollar Bill / Easy/Lucky/Free – Conor Oberst/Dawes
11. Dragonfly / The Purple Dancer – Fleetwood Mac
12. Side By Side Series: The Badge – Poison Idea/Pantera
13. Forever – Haim
14. You’ve Got Time – Regina Spektor
15. I’m Less Here – Mazzy Star
16. Hundreds of Ways / Fast Friends – Conor Oberst
17. The Lake Nokomis Maxi Single – Atmosphere
18. Holding On for Life – Broken Bells
19. Take It Or Leave It b/w Jesse James – Cage The Elephant
20. Say Goodbye To Hollywood b/w Baby Please Don’t Go – Ronnie Spector & The E Street Band
21. Wait for Me b/w Don’t Matter (Live) – Kings Of Leon
22. Illumination Theory – Dream Theater
23. Supernova b.w. Pick Up a Gun – Ray LaMontagne
24. Run, John Barleycorn, Run / Ether Madness – Clutch & Lionize
25. Live From Criminal Records – Frightened Rabbit
More on BuzzAngle Music coming soon.
- Indie Labels Speak Out Against Negative Effects Of Major Labels On Record Store Day
- Chuck D Named 2014 Record Store Day Ambassador
Hypebot Senior Contributor Clyde Smith (@fluxresearch) posts music crowdfunding news @CrowdfundingM. To suggest topics about music tech, DIY music biz or music marketing for Hypebot, contact: clyde(at)fluxresearch(dot)com.