12 Simple Ways To Be A Happier And More Productive Musician
Pursuing a career in the music business isn't easy, nor is it for the thin-skinned. In fact, with all the challenges one has to face to get noticed, it can actually be pretty darn depressing. Here are 12 quick, simple tips that can help keep your spirits high and your focus bright!
- Keep feeding your brain with knowledge and bettering yourself every day. It gives a feeling of growth and potential.
- Give knowledge back by volunteering, teaching, and helping others. It gives a feeling of purpose.
- Stay away from negativity (i.e., people who are unhappy with their lives, have a false sense of entitlement, envy, or try to manipulate and control). Negativity is an extremely infectious disease.
- Know how to party and when enough is enough (which could mean not at all). Restraint is power!
- Exercise and eat healthy. Your health is a gift, and the way you feel directly affects your mood. Try yoga – it's a great tool for relaxation.
- Keep your finances, bills, and receipts in order. Try not to owe anyone anything – just the idea of debt can hang over you like a black cloud – and make sure you save something.
- Keep your house clean and in order. Do your laundry, wash your dishes, and light nice candles. Peaceful surroundings make peaceful people.
- Enjoy time with old friends and close family. Hang with those who have no judgment or agenda for knowing you. There's nothing more empowering than unconditional love.
- Be in the wilderness. Go to the beach or hike in the mountains. Somehow, it makes you appreciate the very fact that the world – and you, yourself – are miracles.
- Create a career and goal agenda. Don't wait for anyone or anything. If you want something done, then get it done now. Be proactive.
- Always maintain an element of independence in your work. Always ask, "Could I deal without this job? Do I have something else lined up?" Doing this brings a feeling of strength and control over your life.
- Don't be afraid to be by yourself. Go to a movie, take yourself out to dinner, or treat yourself to a massage. Remember that if there's one person you can always count on for company, it's you. So be good to that person. You deserve it.
What do you do to stay happy and productive as a musician? Share your tips in the comments below!
Bobby Borg is the author of Music Marketing For The DIY Musician: Creating and Executing a Plan of Attack On A Limited Budget (September 2014). Find the book on Hal Leonard's website under "Trade Books" or on Amazon. Signed copies with a special offer are also available at bobbyborg.com.