Spotify’s Top Music Of 2015
Spotify has released its annual Year in Music lists of the most popular artists and songs for its 75 million users in 2015. Drake was Spotify's most streamed artist in 2015 with over 1.8 billion streams this year and 46 million listeners. Here's a deeper dive including breakout artists and country by country charts.
Global Year in Music 2015
Most Streamed Artist of 2015: Drake
- Drake is the world’s most streamed artist of 2015 with over 1.8 billion streams this year and 46 million listeners, beating Ed Sheeran, last year’s most streamed artist.
Most Streamed Female of 2015: Rihanna
- With over 1 billion streams and 57 million listeners this year, Rihanna is 2015’s most streamed female artist.
Most Streams in a Single Day: Justin Bieber
- Justin Bieber set a record with the most streams in a single day of all time with 36 million streams on November 13.
Most Streamed Song of 2015: Lean On (ft. MØ and DJ Snake) by Major Lazer
- Lean On (ft. MØ and DJ Snake) by Major Lazer is the most streamed song of 2015, Spotify users listened to it over 540 million times this year. This popular track also ranks as the most streamed song of all time on Spotify.
- Major Lazer thanked fans and said “One Love, One Lazer!! Thanks to you: our friends, fam and global squad, ‘Lean On’ is the world’s most streamed track!!”
Most Streamed Album of 2015: The Weeknd – Beauty Behind The Madness
- The Weeknd’s 60 million listeners made Beauty Behind The Madness the most streamed album of the year. Drake’s If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late comes in at #2.
- “It’s been an insane year working with some really talented people. Thank you to the fans on Spotify for making Beauty Behind the Madness the most streamed album of 2015,” said The Weeknd.
Most Streamed Artist of All Time: Ed Sheeran
- Ed Sheeran is now the most streamed artist of all time on Spotify, with more than 3 billion streams to date, and with over 59 million listeners this year.
Breakout Artist of 2015: Kygo
- Norwegian DJ and producer, Kygo, is crowned breakout artist of the year, becoming the first Spotlight artist to reach 1 billion streams, with hits including Firestone and Stole the Show.
- Kygo said, “2015 has been a crazy year for me, and Spotify have supported me right from the start. It's an honor to be their Breakout Artist of the year, and I'm super excited to see what we can do together in 2016!”
Most Viral Track of 2015: Sugar (ft. Francesco Yates) by Robin Schulz
- Robin Schulz’s Sugar (ft. Francesco Yates) is the most viral track of the year, appearing on Spotify’s Global Viral 50 chart 55 times this year. Drake’s Hotline Bling is #2.
- Robin Schulz commented, “Things that go viral are normally cat videos, small children doing stupid stuff or both – so it’s amazing when this happens to one of your songs!! Thanks to everyone who shared Sugar on Spotify this year!”
Most Popular Playlist of 2015: Today’s Top Hits
- Of Spotify’s 2 billion playlists, Today's Top Hits was the most popular this year with close to 70 million hours of listening.
Most Musical Day of 2015:
- June 19 was the biggest day for streams on Spotify in 2015.
U.S. 2015 Data
Top Five Artists in U.S.
- The Weeknd
- Kanye West
- Ed Sheeran
Top Five Males in U.S.
- The Weeknd
- Kanye West
- Ed Sheeran
Top Five Females in U.S.
- Nicki Minaj
- Ariana Grande
- Lana Del Rey
Top Five Tracks in the U.S.
- Trap Queen – Fetty Wap
- The Hills – The Weeknd
- Earned It (Fifty Shades Of Grey) – The Weeknd
- Uptown Funk – Mark Ronson
- Lean On (feat. MØ & DJ Snake) – Major Lazer
Top Five Albums in the U.S.
- If You're Reading This It's Too Late – Drake
- Beauty Behind The Madness – The Weeknd
- Fetty Wap – Fetty Wap
- Dark Sky Paradise – Big Sean
- SremmLife – Rae Sremmurd
Top Five Viral Tracks in the U.S.
- Here – Alessia Cara
- Hotline Bling – Drake
- Sugar (feat. Francesco Yates) – Robin Schulz
- Ex's & Oh's – Elle King
- Sunday Candy – Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment (tied for 4th place)
Top Five Playlists in the U.S.
- Today's Top Hits
- Hot Country
- Afternoon Aco