5 Media Outreach Tips From The Essential Guide To Hip-Hop Marketing & Publicity
Though "The Essential Guide To Hip-Hop Marketing & Publicity" is focused on hip hop, its insights emphasize basic principles that are relevant across music genres. Written by hip hop publicist Kayla Calloway, this short ebook covers such topics as media pitching and mixtape marketing including advice for outreach to writers and editors in both print and web media.
Kayla Calloway says she particularly enjoys working with indie artists and DIY'ers. In The Essential Guide To Hip-Hop Marketing & Publicity she includes basic media pitching tips for both the web and print, press release advice, a starter hip hop media list, 10 tips for mixtape marketing and useful thoughts on social media and videos. I pulled the following tips from the ebook that I think are useful for all musicians.
5 Media Outreach Tips (Even If You're Not a Rapper)
1) "Become VERY familiar with the media outlets that you are targeting. Whether you are targeting a print publication, hip-hop website or blog, know which section you would like to be featured in and find out the name and contact info of that direct editor, hip-hop blogger or writer."
2) "Utilize editorial calendars. Editorial calendars are lists that outline specific topics that print media outlets plan to cover within each issue of the year."
3) "Keep note of your contact history with the editor, writer or hip-hop blogger. Make note of things such as, whether you spoke with them or not? Were they interested in your mixtape? Did they say when you should email or call again? Did they give you a preferred method of contact?"
4) "When you follow-up with the editor, hip-hop blogger or writer, always offer something additional, such as new or exclusive music; keep them in the loop of what you have going on. Never say you are following up to see if they received your email."
5) "If a hip-hop editor, writer, reporter or blogger responds to your pitch, treat their questions and/or requests for additional info with urgency! (I cannot stress this enough)"
Official Site: Kayla Calloway
Hypebot Senior Contributor Clyde Smith (Twitter/App.net) blogs about music crowdfunding at Crowdfunding For Musicians (@CrowdfundingM). To suggest topics for Hypebot, contact: clyde(at)fluxresearch(dot)com.