Future of Music Coalition Announces 2013 Summit: Washington, DC, October 28-29
Future of Music Coalition is holding its annual gathering, the Future of Music Summit 2013, in Washington, DC in late October. Described as the "only conference that makes the connection between musicians and fans,
policymakers and academics, legal experts and technologists, media
professionals and entrepreneurs," Summit 2013 brings together a diverse group of speakers and attendees. A live webcast of speakers will be available for those who can't attend.
This year's Future of Music Summit will be hosted at Georgetown University October 28 and 29 with an unofficial Pho dinner happening on the 27th:
"Summit 2013 puts creators front-and-center on issues ranging from the economics of cultural production to healthcare to musicians making a difference in their communities and beyond. Join us in Washington, DC for two jam-packed days of discussion that highlight the experiences of musicians, songwriters and others whose inspiration and ingenuity is shaping the future of music."
FMC's Interim Executive Director, Casey Rae stated:
"There is so much energy around music right now, we're excited to reflect that vitality at Summit 2013…Musicians everywhere are making their voices heard on the issues that impact them and Future of Music Summit 2013 is the perfect place for those voices to mingle with others who share a vision for a healthier music ecosystem."
"This year, we'll be looking at proposed changes to US Copyright law, artist compensation and access to audiences, and fundamental issues concerning creators at the local level, like health care and infrastructure…We'll be getting specific about what is and isn't working for the music community and also hearing from policymakers, academics, legal experts, industry leaders, and more about shared challenges and opportunities."
A live webcast of events at Lohrfink Auditorium will also be available.
An overall schedule is not yet available but confirmed speakers include:
Keynotes & Conversations
- Jacqueline Charlesworth General Counsel & Associate Register, U.S. Copyright Office
- Anton J. Gunn Director, External Affairs, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Jessica Rosenworcel Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission
- Bob Boilen Creator & Host, All Songs Considered, NPR Music
- Stephan Brackett Emcee, Flobots
- Ariana Delawari Multi-media Artist, Musician, Director, Actress & Photographer
- Michael Drexler Executive Director, Business Development, New Media & Strategic Development, BMI
- Peter Gordon President/Co-Founder, Thirsty Ear Recordings/Jazz Forward Coalition
- Peter Jenner Manager, Sincere Management
- Sanjay Jolly Policy Director, Prometheus Radio Project
- Crista Kende Performing Arts Specialist, Indiegogo
- Greg Kot Co-host, Sound Opinions; Music Critic, Chicago Tribune
- Wayne Kramer Musician, MC5 & Co-founder, Jail Guitar Doors USA
- Josh Kun Professor, Annenberg School of Communication, University of Southern California & Director, The Popular Music Project
- Tim Quirk Head of Global Content Programming, Google Play
- Tamara Saviano Grammy-winning Producer, Manager & Publicist
- Eddie Schwartz President, Songwriters Assocation of Canada
- Jill Sobule Musician & Entrepreneur
Official Site: Future of Music Summit 2013
Hypebot Senior Contributor Clyde Smith (@fluxresearch/@crowdfundingm) also blogs at Flux Research and Crowdfunding For Musicians. To suggest topics for Hypebot, contact: clyde(at)fluxresearch(dot)com.