Following the release of two highly anticipated new tracks 'Shape of You' and 'Castle on the Hill' on Spotify and elsewhere last, the music streamer announced that Ed Sheeran had broken a number of records this week.
Ed Sheeran's record breaking week on Spotify included:
- Ed Sheeran's 'Shape of You' has broken the record for the Best First Week for a track, with 52,359,013 streams this week (Friday to Thursday). This breaks the previous record set by Adele's ‘Hello’, with 46,908,870 streams in October 2015
- 'Shape of You' has also broken the record for the Best Week for a track, with 52,359,013 streams in a week. The previous record for a best week for a track was previously Drake's ‘One Dance’, with 48,149,958 in May 2016
- ‘Shape of You’ was streamed 9,541,156 times in its First Week in the UK, breaking the record set by Adele with 'Hello' which was streamed 5,411,353 times in October 2015
- As previously announced this week, both tracks broke the record for First Day Streams, with 6,868,642 streams for 'Shape Of You' and 6,168,395 streams for 'Castle On The Hill'. Ed has now overtaken the previous 'day one' record holders, One Direction, who reached 4,759,698 streams with "Drag Me Down" in August 2015
- Also as previously announced, Ed broke Adele's one day global record for a track. 'Shape of You' was streamed 7,940,950 times on Monday 9th Jan, beating Hello, which was streamed 7,890,040 times on October 28th 2015.
- ‘Shape of You’ is currently number one in 39 markets. The two tracks are currently #1 and #2 in 27 markets, including global
- 'Shape of You' and 'Castle on the Hill' had a combined first week total of more than 88 million streams.