International music industry convention Midem has unveiled its jury for this year’s Midemlab music startup competition. Sponsored by Deezer and Recochoku,Midemlab showcases the most promising international music-related startups offering fresh opportunities to the music sector.
The competition provides finalists with valuable exposure to industry decision-makers and potential investors. Previous participants have raised millions of dollars in funding including Soundcloud, The Echo Nest (acquired by Spotify), Next Big Sound (acquired by Pandora), and BandPage (acquired by YouTube). 2018 finalist Asaii was acquired by Apple just four months after last year’s competition.
The internationally influential jury includes executives from Google, Sony Music Entertainment, The Orchard and Warner Music Group, investment firms such as Atom Factory and GP Bullhound, startup campuses such as STATION F and global media like France 24, Mashable and the Guardian. Midemlab also welcomes back its long-standing selecting partners, Music Ally & bluenove.
Apply to MIDEMLAB
This year’s call for entries is now open. The deadline for submissions is 20 March 2019.
20 finalists will be chosen from submissions by our selecting partners. They will be invited to Midem to pitch their business to a jury and the wider Midem audience.
Companies can apply in one of the following four categories:
● Music Creation & Education
● Music Discovery & Distribution
● Marketing & Data/Analytics
● Experiential Technologies – VR/AR, High-Resolution, IoT & Hardware
Finalists will receive personalized coaching from Abbey Road Red to prepare for their pitches. Abbey Road runs a unique music tech startup incubation program – the only one of its kind in Europe. Winners in each category will receive a private meeting with leading music startups accelerator TechStars Music, free legal advice from Jeff Liebenson of Liebenson Law, free PR advice from PR strategist Joanna Kirk, a free mentoring session from innovation specialist Yvan Boudillet, one free registration to 2020 Midem, and more.
The MIDEMLAB Jury so far:
● Christian Behrendt, Creative Lead (ZOO EMEA), Google (Germany)
● Sirena Bergman, Freelance Journalist, Mashable/Vice/The Guardian/The Independent (UK)
● Yvan Boudillet, Founder & President, TheLync (France)
● Nicolas Brien, Managing Director, France Digitale (France)
● Paul Brindley, CEO, Music Ally (UK)
● Tiago Correia, Global Digital Business Development Manager, Innovation, Warner Music International (UK)
● Martin Duval, President & Co-Founder, bluenove (France)
● Alexander Holland, Chief Product & Content Officer, Deezer (France)
● Stéphanie Hospital, Founder & CEO, OneRagtime (France)
● Mikio Inari, CTO, Recochoku (Japan)
● Joanna Kirk, Managing Director, StartHer, and Co-Founder, Startup Sesame (France)
● Alon Kuperman, Director, Investment Team, GP Bullhound (UK/Sweden)
● Rodolphe Menegaux, Partner, Alven (France)
● Marjorie Paillon, Journalist, Presenter, #TECH24, Founder, I Love Productions (France)
● Olivier Parfait, Director, Global Business Development & Digital Strategy, Sony Music Entertainment (UK)
● Suzy Ryoo, Venture Partner, VP of Innovation, Atom Factory (USA)
● Juan Francisco Saavedra Plata, Co-Founder/CEO, Kuack Media Group (Colombia)
● Matthias Strobel, President, Music Tech Germany (Germany)
● Colleen Theis, COO, The Orchard (USA)
● Marine Wetzel, Head of Founders Program, Station F (France)