Midemlab Names Jury, Adds Live Music Category
Midemlab, the startup competition of global music industry conference Midem has named its 2020 jury and added a new Live Music Experiences category.
The new category reflects the importance of live in the current music market and to spotlight innovative solutions for bands, fans, venues, producers and promoters.
“Live Music is a major part of the global music industry, said Midem Director Alexandre Deniot. “Each year, nearly 50 artists perform live at Midem and, since 2018, we’ve run an annual Live Summit to better highlight this area of our market. We’re very excited to include a Live Music category in Midemlab to support and reward the most innovative startups in this sphere.”
“I am convinced this new award will foster digital innovation in the live music industry, the number one source of revenues for most artists,” said Guillaume de la Serre, Chief Product Officer & GM Europe, Bandsintown and Midemlab jury member. ” I can’t wait to see the new generation of startups that emerge to capture this massive opportunity in the decade to come.”
Midemlab 2020 Jury
- idemVanessa Bakewell, Client Partner Film & Music, Facebook/Instagram (UK)
- Yvan Boudillet, Founder & President, The Lynk (France)
- Nicolas Brien, CEO, France Digitale (France)
- Paul Brindley, CEO, Music Ally (UK)
- Tiago Correia, Global Digital Business Development Senior Manager, Innovation, Warner Music International (UK)
- Victoria Cruz, Manager, Global Business Development and Digital Strategy, Sony Music Entertainment (UK)
- James Dick, Senior Vice President Marketing Partnerships Asia and CEO, Live Nation Connects (Hong Kong)
- Olivia Hervy, Manager WeWork Labs Paris, WeWork (France)
- Jay Katsuyama, Vice President, Technology, Universal Music Group (USA)
- Jenny Lindblad, Business Coach & Startup Mentor, Eliza Communication (Sweden)
- Jean-Philippe Louis, Journalist, Les Echos (France)
- Eyal Malinger, Investment Director, Beringea (UK)
- Rishi Patel, Managing Partner, Plus Eight Equity (USA)
- Vanja Primorac, Music Innovation, United talent Agency (USA)
- Arabian Prince, Founding Member, NWA, Founder & CEO, iNov8 Next Open Labs (USA)
- Juan Francisco Saavedra Plata, Co-Founder & CEO, Kuack Media Group (Colombia)
- Claudia Schwarz, Co-Founder & VP, MusicTech Germany, Co-Founder WickedWork (Germany)
- Marisol Segal, Head of Digital Partnerships, AEG Presents (USA)
- Guillaume de la Serre, Chief Product Officer & GM Europe, Bandsintown (France)
- Pariwat Wongsamran, Director of Startup Thailand, NIA (Thailand)
Midemlab Entries Open Now
Entries for the 13th edition of the Midemlab competition are open and music/entertainment industry startups can apply for free in one of the 4 categories until February 18, 2020:
● Music Creation & Education
● Music Distribution & Discovery
● Music Marketing & Data/Analytics
● Live Music Experiences (NEW)
The competition provides finalists with exposure to industry decision-makers and potential investors. Previous participants have raised millions of dollars in funding and many are now well-established in the music ecosystem.
All finalists will receive personalized coaching from Abbey Road Red to prepare for their pitches. Winners of each category receive free PR advice from Rock Paper Scissors, digital content strategy advice from Kuack Media and legal advice from Jeff Liebenson of Liebenson Law. Winners will also receive a free mentoring session from innovation specialist, Yvan Boudillet, of The Lynk, a private meeting with investment firm Plus 8 Equity, a one year subscription to Music Ally’s professional music bulletin, international media coverage, one free Midem 2020 registration, and more.
Previous Midemlab success stories include Soundcloud, The Echo Nest (acquired by Spotify), Next Big Sound (acquired by Pandora), BandPage (acquired by YouTube) and Asaii (acquired by Apple). 2019 winner Endlesss closed a major funding round from high-profile execs immediately after attending Midem. The German-based startup Jambl also raised crucial funds a few months after winning Midemlab last June.
Midemlab 2020 Selection Partners
Music Ally: the leading digital strategy and music industry intelligence company
Plus 8 Equity: a music tech venture firm
The Lynk: an agency connecting creative industries & startups